Sunday, November 1, 2009

I live without cash – and I manage just fine













Mark Boyle outside his off-grid caravan. Photograph: Mark Boyle

Armed with a caravan, solar laptop and toothpaste made from washed-up cuttlefish bones, Mark Boyle gave up using cash

In six years of studying economics, not once did I hear the word "ecology". So if it hadn't have been for the chance purchase of a video called Gandhi in the final term of my degree, I'd probably have ended up earning a fine living in a very respectable job persuading Indian farmers to go GM, or something useful like that. The little chap in the loincloth taught me one huge lesson – to be the change I wanted to see in the world. Trouble was, I had no idea back then what that change was.

After managing a couple of organic food companies made me realise that even "ethical business" would never be quite enough, an afternoon's philosophising with a mate changed everything. We were looking at the world's issues – environmental destruction, sweatshops, factory farms, wars over resources – and wondering which of them we should dedicate our lives to. But I realised that I was looking at the world in the same way a western medical practitioner looks at a patient, seeing symptoms and wondering how to firefight them, without any thought for their root cause. So I decided instead to become a social homeopath, a pro-activist, and to investigate the root cause of these symptoms.

One of the critical causes of those symptoms is the fact we no longer have to see the direct repercussions our purchases have on the people, environment and animals they affect. The degrees of separation between the consumer and the consumed have increased so much that we're completely unaware of the levels of destruction and suffering embodied in the stuff we buy. The tool that has enabled this separation is money.

If we grew our own food, we wouldn't waste a third of it as we do today. If we made our own tables and chairs, we wouldn't throw them out the moment we changed the interior decor. If we had to clean our own drinking water, we probably wouldn't contaminate it.
So to be the change I wanted to see in the world, it unfortunately meant I was going to have to give up cash, which I initially decided to do for a year. I got myself a caravan, parked it up on an organic farm where I was volunteering and kitted it out to be off-grid. Cooking would now be outside – rain or shine – on a rocket stove; mobile and laptop would be run off solar; I'd use wood I either coppiced or scavenged to heat my humble abode, and a compost loo for humanure.

Food was the next essential. There are four legs to the food-for-free table: foraging wild food, growing your own, bartering, and using waste grub, of which there is loads. On my first day, I fed 150 people a three-course meal with waste and foraged food. Most of the year, though, I ate my own crops.
To get around, I had a bike and trailer, and the 34-mile commute to the city doubled up as my gym subscription. For loo roll I'd relieve the local newsagents of its papers (I once wiped my arse with a story about myself); it's not double-quilted, but I quickly got used to it. For toothpaste I used washed-up cuttlefish bone with wild fennel seeds, an oddity for a vegan.

What have I learned? That friendship, not money, is real security. That most western poverty is of the spiritual kind. That independence is really interdependence. And that if you don't own a plasma screen TV, people think you're an extremist.

People often ask me what I miss about my old world of lucre and business. Stress. Traffic jams. Bank statements. Utility bills.
Well, there was the odd pint of organic ale with my mates down the local.

• Mark Boyle is the founder of The Freeconomy Community


11 comments:

  1. Everybody talks about change but nobody makes that change happen. Mark is right, he wants to see a change and in order for that to happen, he has to become the change he wants to see. That is a very tough transition but he made it possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark is living like the old-time and is making use of natural resources the right way. If we are to compare old times with what we have right now, old-time is better because they get to live the healthier way. As what I've noticed, people during those days die at their 90's or hundredths but now, people die young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark may seem strange to many people, but during the tragic era that the world is in now. If people follows some of the strategy that Mark followed, they can protect the health of the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. change is great!!!!! you are so right!!!! very crafy and unique!!!!! i would like to meet you one day!!!!! Holla!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When people change they would see the world better and easier for them. Changing is good and you could do it if you really try its not hard to do.You are right if people had to grow things to eat or clean water to drink they wouldnt waiste things like they do now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of people dont take time and think about the changes they can make in their lives. And i give respect to Mark because he may seem strange and nuts for doing it, but at least he is living his life a healthy and safer way. It would be exciting to know that you dont have any bills to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark is living a life without money, expenses, Utilties bills. I think thats the kind of life everyone would like to live but, people are too scared to let go of the fancy things that are suppose to make us "happy". When in fact they make us more stressed and miserable. Most people would think that Mark is crazy for doing this but,he's living life the way it first began and I think its an excellent style of living.

    ReplyDelete
  8. all i have to say is wow! People do need to think about change, this i what mark is trying to show people. To live the life the way it was meant, not with work and having to stress about anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. People may find the way mark lives strange but that's only because people may find change strange. He lives a health life and maybe if we change like him we would too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What Mark did was amazing, he not only gave up cash, but by doing that he relived himself of so much stress and worries. It's true that we need change the way we live. We simply have too much choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The way of life for mark is amazing. I know half of the people in this world wouldn't try to go through what he went through. He went old school on us. He didn't use electricity or any technology. He used his own hands for everything

    ReplyDelete